Monday, April 14, 2014

Ch. 10 Business & Professional Ethics

What intrigued me right away from this chapter was the opening paragraph.  The chapter says, "The key
point is that an enduring great company decides for itself what values it holds to be core, largely independent of the current environment, competitive requirements, or management fads" (173).  This quote stuck out to me because it made me ponder about the different types of organizations.  There are companies on total, different sides of the spectrum, and I can therefore believe that their core values are the same.  Some companies are after your money, some want to sell a lifestyle, and some want to truly help people.  I liked that the chapter stated that the organization has to decide for themselves what their core values are, and those values only make sense to those within the organization and are totally independent from the outside world.
There were 3 metaphors in this chapter.  1) Business and Professional Communication, 2) the Dialectic of direction and change, and 3) Public Testing.  To me, business and professional communication is communication that takes place in business settings, and is interested in the economical side of things.  The dialectic of direction and change is when businesses follow certain trends that are received as positive in the public, but it's also when a company has the courage to try something new and unique, which hasn't yet been approved by the public.  Public testing in my opinion are those companies that have stood the test of time, that have faced adversity and succeeded while also precautioning itself for unknown factors that may come into play at a later time.

2 comments:

  1. This quote also stood out to me. As I read the chapter the one thing that came to mind was my current employer. I work for comcast, one of the nations largest cable companies. I thought about how business and professional ethics relates to the day to day practices in a company like this one. The one thing I can tell you is that my company really believes change is a good thing and that to succeed one must be open to change. In fact the first thing I the company told us in training was that they are always changing, and never get to comfortable. Because when a memo comes out, everyone must be on board, or else. This is very important when it comes to progression within the company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't spend too much time looking into that quote but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. There are a lot of different companies out there and they each have specific mission and vision statements. I do agree with what you said about business and professional communication ethics being focused on the economical aspect of the business. But I also think there is more to that. One of the biggest things I've noticed working for the football team is the office camaraderie. Business and professional ethics relate to how each employee is treated in the office. You want each employee to have an understanding of what is expected when interacting with co-workers and clients. When your employees understand all of that, it can help make the business run more efficiently and effectively.

    ReplyDelete