Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Chapter 12. Are Humans Willing to Learn?

Chapter 12 was one of the most important so far. Some of the language used in this chapter was able to give me better insight on how to look at others while we are in the communication arena. I am convinced that this chapter was embedded in my head while I slept. In the first paragraph I was given the ideas that would stick with me the rest of the chapter.

The first idea was to, “stop using ethics as a weapon towards people” (p.209). This is a very bold statement. It is sometimes very hard to drop every prejudice we have and just listen. We must remember that the people we are conversing with or we are involved with may have a totally  different idea of how communication works and what it actually is. The book continues to say that we must, “embrace the necessity of learning” (p.209).  We need to be able to adjust to different situations and understand how to navigate them, even when we don’t like or approve of the situation or outcome. The text continues in later in the text offering an idea we must embrace. Learning about the other.

This is important because we are able to brush things off much easier and continue the growing process. If we do not learn what the other may want or need how can we ever teach them our views or the  “right” way? I feel that this is the most important part about communication. As a human race we must embrace difference but at the same time try to make all of us interconnect. It is a sticky situation if we just continue to adapt to our own lives while not making room for growth by others.

I am currently looking for more work and it makes my boss very upset. He is worried he will have to work more and does not want to see my point. I am looking for day work so I can be with my little buddy when he is born. I am concerned that the way our restaurant is being ran from our boss may be an issue in the future and I don’t really want to be involved with him anymore. He is aggressive and always worried about himself. I just can’t deal with it much longer. He is never willing to listen or understand people below him on the work chain of command. I actually  told him right before I read this chapter some of the same things that were covered in here.

1 comment:

  1. Lee,
    that comment on p. 209 stuck out to me as well, which I believed I spoke upon in my blog post. I think that we as a society try to use ethics as weapons to judge people, in order to justify our treatment or ideals about a person or group. We've learned over time this semester that ethics is a word that is very vague and means a lot of things to a lot of different people. My ethics can be totally different from yours, and that's ok. However, what's not ok is if I let my own ethics become universal, and I try to uphold everyone to my own individual standards. Relationships cannot build a foundation with that type of thinking. I also liked the other quote you spoke about, where we all have to embrace the necessity of learning. I've found that a lot of people desire to stick to their roots or what is comfortable to them, and don't think it's necessary to learn about other cultures because they don't have anything to do with them. They may be right, but only for so long. It's only a matter of time before someone is faced with a situation they have never experienced, and if they would have learned that it's necessary to learn, they would be able to act and think accordingly. Your situation with your boss reminds me that we all have our own goals and plans, but it sounds like your boss is not taking yours into account. I think that you are wise for searching for other work to fit your needs and wants. As long as your searching doesn't affect the overrall business, I think that you are well within bounds!

    ReplyDelete