Saturday, April 12, 2014

Dance With The Devil

I feel like it can be hard to understand other cultures at times. For me personally, a way to start understanding might be to talk to other people from a different culture. However, people might not be open to talking to outsiders or they might be inaccessible. To get around this issue of people not wanting to talk and inaccessibility, I have turned to music.

I will be the first to admit that my conditions growing up were not that hard and I feel like was very lucky. My hometown did not have much crime and drugs never really came up. So when I came to college, I had a bit of a culture shock seeing all of the different people and hearing about the backgrounds they came from. I often judged people on their actions not taking into account their history. Recently I heard a song that stunned me and helped me realize all of the different backgrounds that are out there. This song is titled Dance With The Devil and it was written and performed by Immortal Technique. 

In the song it talks about the life of a guy Immortal Technique was a friend with. Basically, the guy sells drugs, rats out his drug friends, goes to jail, wants back in, the drug friends say that he must rape and kill a woman to show his loyalty. The guy grabs a girl from behind and rapes her and then kills her. The guy looks as the girls face after she is dead and he realizes that she is his mother. The guy can’t take it and kills himself.

After listening to the song, I though that I know nothing about how bad it can be for people and what people from other cultures can go through. To me, music is a little window into what people from other cultures have to go through in their lives and how I cannot compare my life and actions to their own.


Dance With The Devil - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qggxTtnKTMo

No comments:

Post a Comment