Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Business of Professionalism

Well last week I had a series of interviews with a company I was trying to work for. They sell life insurance and they seemed like a pretty swell company. The interview process seemed pretty long, which it was, mainly because it had been the second place I have ever interviewed for and I was doing pretty well considering.

Anyways, according to the text business and professional communication is framed to promote civility as a good (176). I agree -- depending on the business that is. Civility as a good is great, if that makes any sense, I just think that that is a given. As a company or a place of professional standard, it is important to be courteous, kind, upstanding, wanting to keep the customers and employees first in mind. Though I also think it is important for a company to be blunt, sometimes offensive, and to stick to what they (as a company) belief and try not to shape it for everyone who disagrees with a mission statement or purpose. What I mean by that is merely taking what people say into intentional consideration as a company and to not simply do as people say or vice versa. Socrates said "an unexamined life is not worth living" as referred to in the text (Plato, 1954.)

Back to the company I interviewed for. I challenged one of their quotes that they used as a company, I am forgetting the exact quote by Van Gogh but it was talking about how things don't happen on impulse but by a series of little things that lead to something great. I prompted the question as to whether or not an impulse could be something that lead to something small that led to something great; they said they liked the question. It was probably different than what most people would ask I'm using that as an example mainly because I didn't ask much about the company and it seemed to arouse their attention.


No comments:

Post a Comment