Monday, April 7, 2014

Chapter 9; Intercultural Communication Ethics

I am currently taking an Intercultural Communications and Reentry class so I found this chapter to be very interesting. I was very curious to see what the authors would describe the concept of the good to be regarding intercultural communication ethics, when they said it was the culture itself I was very surprised because culture seems so big (p. 155). Culture as the good in regards to intercultural communication ethics is spot on. The good for me has been somewhat confusing and seeing it in the specific context of culture really hits the notion of the good home for some reason.
A sentence from the chapter that I found to be extremely accurate when it comes to intercultural communication was "intercultural communication highlights the importance of difference in this historical moment" (p. 156). In the process of study intercultural communication in-depth this statement really stood out to me right away and resulted in a reflection of the knowledge I have gained so far regarding intercultural communication. As I read on I analyzed different points made throughout the text more carefully and in comparison to what I have already learned. The class I am currently taking has opened my eyes to this concept of difference or diversity and that "difference is the norm" as the book describes it (p. 158). This statement is so true when it comes to cross-cultural interaction, no one considers culture common by any means. The idea that culture shapes the onlooker as well as the participant is something that I have learned first hand while visiting London (p. 159). Even taking the class that I am currently in and having students from other cultures in it and learning about them has shaped me and my views and actions when it comes to intercultural communication. This knowledge has definitely reshaped how I now communicate with those of different cultures as well as what I think qualifies of intercultural communication ethics.
When discussing culture shock it would have been interesting to have discussed cultural reentry and the dialogue that goes along with that portion of the cultural experience because I feel that the notion that culture shapes the onlooker as well as the participant is switched when someone returns in a sense. When someone returns from a cultural experience they have been shaped by that culture they have been immersed in and they will bring some of that cultures ideals etc. back with them and as a result this will impact other around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment