Tuesday, April 15, 2014

How we run our business world.

Business and professional communication ethics can be very misleading. It takes a certain person to attain honesty on the business level. Communication is hard enough, but facing huge business decisions can make it very hard to bring honest and corporate decisions to the public to view. We see this idea used in politics as well as any type of business around us. Communication is what we need but what happens when it fails.

As I read this chapter, I was interested in the coloration of Obama and his political agendas. In my senior paper, I am addressing the fact that he has to do a political maneuver called, “constituent rhetoric.” Pretty much brings the same idea to light as, “the dialectic of direction and change.” (p.174) I was surprised because it made better sense in this book. I understand it as in business communication you sometimes need to change your opinions as the relationship is in need for growth. Obama has been very conservative when it comes to the war on terror, but wants it to end at the same time in a faster fashion. He has had to change his ideas in ways to appease the people or constituents.

I find this to be true for myself in my profession as well. In the restaurant industry, we run into people every day that may not believe what we do. They are upset about a meal or they do not like the ambiance. This is when we have to shift from what a typical person would do, (get defensive), and become appealing in a way that will leave the costumer with a good taste in their mouths, per say! If I as a manager am rude or unofficial in a way, I will cause huge problems for our establishments’ and have to clean up a huge public relations issue on social media. Having a set way of thinking in a corporate world is very important because as we saw in intercultural communication, each person has their own set of views and beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment