Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Blog 5 chapter 5

Chapter 5 Blog 5


Chapter 5 was a reading that I would have to say I was not interested in at all. The ideas set forth and the ability to keep an audience was just not there. I get that not every chapter will be as moving as the next but this one latterly kept putting me to sleep. I understand that Dialogue is an important part of every day life and we must practice it for real world application but I am unsure of how this chapter connected to anything that I go through or may go through. I think the authors tried to convey a point that was almost hard for them to address.

Some things that bothered me were how they just continue with such dry language. In addition, why couldn’t this chapter be summed up in a few short ideas. It dragged on for so long. Buber seemed like the six dimensions were the last words he ever spoke. It seemed to me that his ideas were their but he know that the concept lacked imagination as well as a strong backing. Maybe they are setting up for a better chapter after.

I did like one thing about this chapter. They talked about different views on the theory, which makes some sense. We cannot always look at things by one sphere. The world is now like a kaleidoscope and we must begin to think like this for any type of change or we will never have a good dialogical sphere. I do believe one thing. Paulo Freire refers to saving face. People in different advantage levels in life may be subject to different forums of communication. This is very important to realize because it is something that we like to look-over or underestimate. I feel as if this was the only positive thing I pulled out of this chapter.

1 comment:

  1. This chapter is fairly dry, I agree. I had to re-read a few parts to make sure I hadn't skipped it, turns out that I didn't but I just tuned out what I was reading.

    Also, with the face saving, a lot of dialogue depends on how much a person wants to disclose about themselves. Whether that be something in their life or a belief or value they might have. People who have more face to save the less they learn because the less they open in a sense. It's important to make it a conscious decision to have an exchange with someone were learning and understanding of difference is mutual.

    ReplyDelete