Monday, February 17, 2014

Chapter 4 Communication Ethics

This chapter discussed common sense, learning and theories.  Before reading this chapter, I had always figured that saying something was "common sense" was in fact widespread and something everyone was on the same page about.  I realized after reading this chapter that common sense cannot be taken for granted and is no longer common, being that people are coming from many different backgrounds and have different life experiences.  The chapter goes on to say, "With multiple views of the good and multiple common sense understandings of the good, such a world is more akin to a patchwork quilt than to a single sewn sheet of cloth," (p. 66).  One example of when I thought something was common sense, was when my friend came to yoga with me the first time.  I knew to take my shoes off at the door, however, she did not.  Being that she had not practiced yoga, nor been to a studio, I realized my knowledge and background experience was completely different than hers.

 Learning ties into common sense, being that "Learning mandates that we encounter the textured differences of human life, giving up the demand that others conform to our expectation," (p. 69).  Last but not least, "[t]heories are public recordings of the learning of others, offered as guides that help us understand communicative events before us," (p. 63).  So all in all, next time before you want to tell someone that something is common sense, rethink what you are saying because we all coming from different places.

2 comments:

  1. I have a similar opinion with you wrote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. We live in a country with many diverse backgrounds, and it's imperative that we don't assume that people come from the same thread of life. We are all different. Therefore, common sense is a term that is dependent upon experience. I too, before I read the chapter, thought of common sense as a term that was universally sound. I assumed it was a term that meant a group of people know better to act in a certain fashion. However, after our discussion on Tuesday, we found out that it was something much different.
    I predict that common sense will be a term that becomes less and less popular, with our society becoming even more diverse than now in the future. But, I predict the term will still be used in settings that people are custom with. For example, I have a lot of experience playing basketball. If I do something on the court that is idiotic, others might say that I lack common sense. I think that it's acceptable for people to use this term when the person has experience with a certain context. I'm looking forward to our discussion tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete