Monday, February 17, 2014

Chapter 4

      This chapter was a pretty simple read in terms of understanding. I found it very relevant to what we've been discussing in class, not to mention helpful for my future presentation. I couldn't help but notice how common sense really tied in to what our definitions and beliefs behind what communication ethics is. I mean common sense is something most people take for granted, especially in "postmodern" times. We as a society have our own ideas as to what common sense is. The reading gave some pretty simple examples of what we see as common sense and how some things can be misunderstood.
 
       For example I liked the examples in the introduction when the stated, "I can't believe that you don't know how to throw a baseball, thats common sense" and "what do you mean you can't follow these directions? They're written in plain english-its just common sense." The last example clearly shows how what we think common sense is could be much different for a foreigner. It also shows how "common sense is not innate, and how uncommon it really is." I think that this chapter really focused on how society should view communication ethics in relation to common sense, like it layed out key factors on how it should be done, with learning being the main one( I think). Learning is key because without learning, people hold onto only their views and ideas of common sense to others would be seen as wrong.
 
       With times always changing, and the world growing, and cultures becoming more diverse, a concrete sense of common sense will be a rarity. If our society isn't open to learning there will be no room for growth which can have many negative consequences in the future. Lastly I thought it important to touch on how I think common sense isn't something that can be individualistic. Common sense is established by a group, usually a larger group, its what they know to be true and practice. I thought that its strange because I feel like common sense and communication ethics go hand in hand, but communication ethics can be somewhat individualistic, but common sense leans more towards a group idea than an individual one.

2 comments:

  1. I agree completely with your statement about learning. Common sense works when the community that you are a part of shares the same narrative, but when you hold to that standpoint outside of that community, communication is bound to break down. Just the other week, my roommate barged into our room when I was taking a nap, talking loudly on the phone. In my mind, I was outraged thinking that it should be common sense that when the door is closed, someone might be doing something or in this case sleeping. But after reading this chapter I realized that what is common sense to me could be completely different for him. Maybe in his mind he thought that no one could possibly be sleeping at 11:30. So instead of holding a grudge with my "Minnesota Nice" passive aggressiveness, maybe I could actually try to engage in conversation about it. I think the same can be applied to all areas of life where you feel like common sense has been violated. When we ask "why?" we learn, and are more likely to be effective communicators in a postmodern society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with you in the respect of the easy explanations. I found this chapter to give us a god idea of what to think about common sense. After class I must say I had a whole new idea of the word "common." I was shocked to get so in depth with the conversations we had. We really got to the bottom of it didn't we.

    One thing that kept coming up to me and you mentioned it as well was the thought of, learning. We may think it is well, "common sense," but it becomes very hard to go away from what we have learned in the past. Many people just cannot have change. I feel so lucky to have classes like this with people willing to break down and address issues like this. We all became better people after that talk Tuesday

    ReplyDelete