Thursday, February 13, 2014

Ch. 4 Common Sense

In chapter 4, the authors focused on the concept of common sense and how it applies and who it complicates communication ethics. Today, in this era of postmodernity, we cannot assume that there is a central belief in what is common sense. In order to help communicate ethically with using the concept of common sense, it is necessary to continuously stop ourselves from demanding people to conform to our concept of common sense and then, people need to find a temporary understanding of common sense and make it known and visible to the people you are communicating with. Our own understanding of common sense is formed by what people know and what they practice. Even though it is not innate, people tend to assume that common sense is universal and that can get people into situations that will have ineffective communication.

There has been so many times in my life where this notion of common sense being universal has been really problematic and has created situations of tension. This semester, I am taking a biology class that is catered to CLA students that do not want to pursue a career in the sciences, but need to fulfill the requirement. I have been put into the group and one of the girls I am working with decided to take this class as an elective and she is biochemistry major. Clearly, this class is an introductory course and she is going to be able to do really well in it and it will be very easy to her. She considers this class to be common sense and because of that, she makes comments of it being so easy and makes me and my other group mates feel inferior to her for not thinking of it as common sense. Because she considers this common sense from what she has been practicing, she has created some tension because of the way she has made everyone else feel for not have the same idea of what is and what isn't common sense. This is just one example of how it is necessary to remember that common sense in influenced by personal experiences and we cannot assume other people think that same thing is common sense as we do.

One aspect of communicating ethically around the idea of common sense is learning. There isn't one notion of common sense, so we must take the time to learn and understand other people's ideas of the common sense. In my bio class, I have tried to help this girl see that, even though she considers this common sense, it is not for us because we have not spent much of our time learning and practicing biology. My intention has been for her to help learn and understand that we have different ideas of what common sense is and also, I have allowed her a time to explain herself about what she believes to be common sense. Even though things are still tense and communication is hindered, by taking the time to learn our different ideas around common sense, we have helped create a more understanding environment about people's differing views of common sense.

1 comment:

  1. I hear where you are coming from. It can be really frustrating sometimes when you are struggling and someone else considers it "common sense." I had a similar experience with a Professor once (who will remain unnamed). I was struggling in an advanced science course and went to his office hours for help. Instead of helping me, he mocked me and told me that the material I was struggling with was "common sense" and if I didn't understand, then I should just drop the course. For me, there was nothing "common" about advanced chemistry. More like "intimidating." The material was obviously very easy for him. He was a PhD in chemistry and a really impressive researcher. It was deflating and disheartening, when he refused to help me because if he would have been more open to learning, or seeing the situation from my viewpoint, I would have been able to be more successful in his class. But instead, he dismissed me and made me feel stupid for even asking for help. Just another illustration of two very different views on common sense.

    ReplyDelete