Monday, February 17, 2014

Blog Post 4



It seems, to me, that this chapter of common sense has been easier to relate to than the previous chapters. Common sense is something that we have all probably heard and even said at some point in our lives, whether it be to a family member, friend, or co-worker. As the chapter states, common sense is derived from what we, as individuals, find familiar. This includes experiences that we have had, and behaviors/understandings/knowledge that has been repeatedly practiced. Even though the book states, there is no “universal common sense,” I still think that some common sense is shared among individuals.

Ironically, I recently had a conversation with a fellow student that I frequently ride the bus with, and as we were waiting for the bus, we were exchanging stories of “good and bad” bus riding etiquette, when all of a sudden he blurts, “I mean, come on! Its common sense!” And I couldn’t help but laugh and agree, because we shared the same idea of common sense in that specific case. I did, however, divert our previous bus etiquette conversation towards the topic and idea of common sense. I asked him what he thought was considered “common sense” about that and he said, “It’s just something everybody should know.” I explained to him about my recent reading in the communication ethics book about how there really is no “universal common sense,” therefore, leading to the implication that this person whom he was referring to may have been familiar with a different type of bus etiquette, or experienced a different background than us. 

It is interesting to learn that there is no true universal common sense, yet we tend to use this term so freely more often in a shared setting. In most cases, at least in my experience, this term is typically expressed in a casual manner towards family, friends, or co-workers. I cannot think of a time when I have, or would, use this term towards someone that I was not close to or had something in common with enough to express what is or is not common sense.

2 comments:

  1. Tiffany, I agree with you that this chapter was a lot easier to relate to than the others. I pretty much talked about the same thing in my blog, being that we so freely use the term common sense. However, I do agree with you in the fact that there is some common sense that is shared among a group of people, like we talked about in class, that everyone in class has the same common sense knowledge of Comm 3625. Being that there is some shared common sense, how do we know when something is common sense? That was one question that I was struggling with.

    After reading this chapter on Common Sense, I will definitely take into account the term common sense, the next time I just throw it out. Everyone has different ideas of common sense based on their backgrounds and life experiences. So like you said, those other people on the bus probably were exposed to other buses and were not used to the etiquette on the bus that you ride. With so many people in our world, we are bound to run into people of different cultures, language styles, ethics and more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn, thank you for your response. Like you mentioned, as there are many people in our world with different cultures, language styles, ethics, etc., it is safe that we are to encounter these people in almost a daily basis in some context or another. That being said, is it fair to say that "common sense" is slowly losing common and shared meaning because it is becoming lesser and lesser shared as our world is becoming more diverse with backgrounds and experiences? I think that in some cases it is definitely losing its meaning, in more of a public context, but do you agree that common sense will forever remain as is still being created amongst groups as we talked about in class? For example, like our class has labeled common sense within its boundaries of the classroom, doors, rules, etc.

    ReplyDelete