Monday, February 17, 2014

Blog Post 4, Common Sense

First off, I'd like to say that this was my favorite chapter to read thus far in this class, because I can relate very well on the issue of common sense.  I'm one of those people that has been accused of not having common sense from close friends and family.  However, when I think about it, they only think that I don't have common sense in situations that I have no experience or dealing with.  My sister is very technology savvy, and I'm not.  Does it mean that I lack common sense because at times I'm not tech savvy?  I hope not!  This chapter made me realize that common sense is a phrase that pertains to context, a term we have talked adamantly about over the past couple of days.  People might not possess common sense in situations they've never been in before or with customs they've never dealt with prior to that coming moment.  If we learn to accept and act empathetical to people who are facing new situations, I believe this term can be erased from American vocabulary. 
This chapter pointed out 2 things to me that I adamantly agree with: 1.  "Common sense is not an innate human faculty".  The term common sense pertains to what we know, what we are familiar with.  If we find a person who is experiencing a new context, then we can't judge or make premonitions because that's unfair.  It's common pertaining to what we know.
2. The term postmodern is "an admission that we live in an age of narrative and virtue contention, that we inhabit a world where common sense is no longer similarly accessible to all".  Day by day, our country, hell, MN, becomes more tolerant of different viewpoints and has to come face to face with new realities that weren't custom to this land 30-40 years ago.  People within this country and even our state come from all different walks of life, and it's imperative we remember that when we try to communicate ethically.  One man's common sense is not the same for the next.  Common sense is a term that is relative and unique to one, individual person. 
Hopefully I can have my sister read this chapter and have her stop telling me that I don't have common sense lol.  See y'all tomorrow for discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment