Monday, February 17, 2014

Chapter 4: Common Sense

I found this chapter to be much more interesting to read than the previous ones. Initially it seemed like common sense, learning, and theory were more basic concepts to discuss. This chapter ended up shedding a new light on each metaphor, provoking me to think about them differently than I have in the past. The idea of common sense being “not so common” was one I found most enlightening. The author repeatedly stated that “the only common sense is the realization that there is no universal common sense.” Common sense is only “common” when it becomes a norm or familiar within a group of people.


In the past I have found myself frustrated in certain situations because I assume it is “common sense” not to do something. For example, I will find myself irritated when people come into our house here on campus in the winter and do not take their shoes off dry them before walking around inside, leaving slush all over our floors. To me, it is common sense to not walk around with wet dirty shoes. But the more I think about it I have to be understanding that this is just a rule that became “common sense” in my house back home. Other people might not have been reminded of this constantly growing up and do not find this a common sense thing to do. Overall, I found this way of thinking about common sense a great reminder to be more understanding that we all have varied ideas of what is common sense depending on our local culture. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the insight about how your "common" sense about winter shoes developed during childhood. For the record, I share your sentiment, but I also think you touched on what I felt was so useful about this chapter: common sense is a very easy-to-understand metaphor for communication ethics thanks to the shared human experience of encountering common sense at some point in our lives. It's irksome to see people trek sludge and dirty snow into an apartment--especially when only carpet is waiting to receive their shows--but however ridiculous it seems to think any other way, other ways of thinking and other common senses exist, just like the multiplicity of ethics.

    In a way, common sense actually IS universal, and that's what makes it so useful as a metaphoric tool for understanding the ethics of others. Common sense IS common--a concept universal to all humans. Though the meaning of common sense changes, we've all encountered the idea and developed our own common sense that the idealists in us think are universally understood. The challenge comes in actually breaking that habit and embracing the differences in others' thinking; the book takes care of the first part, the recognizing, with a very effective reminder that common sense is highly personal.

    ReplyDelete