Monday, February 10, 2014

Chapter 3 Blog Post

This chapter was very interesting to me, since each theory is sound in its own right, but I do not think that any choice is made based off of just one of the theories.  All six of them could explain the same choice based off of different reasoning, and I would argue that the reasoning behind choosing a theory is the unique to the person who makes the choice since they will value certain aspects more than others.  For example a person who uses the Contextual approach is more concerned about the "good" they represent than one governed by the universal-humanitarian approach who is more concerned about the "good" and duty of humanity as a whole.  But even with that I get bogged down since I do not think that any one choice is ever made by just one of the theories, therefore all of them apply to every choice, making the point of having six different theories pointless to me.  When I view them more as six parts to ethical decision making.
Take for example the example in the chapter, one person does not make the choice to drink or not drink based solely off of the code of conduct or laws they fall under.  The other theories take place also with social pressures of the situation, previous actions and dicussions, and personal beliefs all take place in that one example.  Therefore excluding the idea that just one of these theories encompasses the decision making of the person.  At least for me that is how I think I make decision abstractly, all of the theories are part of the whole, in decsion making.

No comments:

Post a Comment