Monday, February 10, 2014

Ch. 3 Approaches

Contextual Communication Ethics confuses me.  Conceptually, I understand what the book is trying to get at.  Ethics, in regards to the context in which the good is presented.  But what I don't understand is how that this can be considered a category of Communication Ethics at all.  There is so much overlap between what 'contextual' communication ethics could cover with all of the other categories.  Couldn't contextual communication ethics mean in the context of a 'narrative' or in a 'democracy' or in the context of an organization's 'codes, procedures and standards'?  I think communication ethics in general is a very contextual concept.  Since there is no single, correct idea or way to do things, wouldn't communication always depend on context?  I might be simplifying this concept too much, but to me, this chapter seems to highlight the obviousness of what communication ethics and 'good' depends on.  Though, I do appreciate how this chapter had a much clearer layout with specific categorizations of the topics to be discussed unlike the previous chapters that simply talked in circles.  Although, I think the chapter could have been completely and fully described, without forgetting any important details in the first two pages in the grey text boxes that was supposed to give an 'overview' of what was to come, and none of the following pages would have been necessary.  

No comments:

Post a Comment