Monday, February 17, 2014

Blog Post 4 Chapter 4 Common Sense

Common sense is an interesting term to me, especially the way that the book defines it as each persons personal set of "good" values.  I would say that common sense is a small groups or community's shared set of beliefs.  And I would disagree that each person has a personal set of these beliefs that make up their common sense.  To me common sense is the values and beliefs that are shared within a community structure, whether that is a family, town, team, or church, this institutions help foster the ideas of common sense that we see.  For example everyone from one family may think that talking about sex at the dinner table is ok, but another family it is not.  Each unit of the families have the same common sense on the topic, but is different from the other family. The same thing would go for the other groups.

Yet within the groups there are still differences in that common sense.  And this is where I get really confused, since to me the growth of common sense comes from these institutions, so I would think that they would share many of the same beliefs.  I think that a good example of this is the paster in Les Mis, who even though the church condones stealing, helps the thief get away with his crime.  Since to him the importance of giving someone a new start was more important than what the church thought.  So really common sense as the ability to decide for oneself what is right or wrong, while coming from institutions ultimately, is a personal choice at every level, which is weird to think about.  Since for me much of my own personal code come from my family, and the teams that I have been a part of.  

No comments:

Post a Comment