Monday, February 10, 2014

Chapter 3

Overall, I think that this chapter helps put communication ethics into some practical and relatable methods. The chapter outlines 6 conceptual frameworks in regards to communication ethics. The 6 frameworks are democratic, universal-humanitarian, codes, procedures and standards, contextual, narrative and dialogic communication ethics. These methods are all different approaches that a person can use to help protect and promote a given good. The textbook did a great job of giving relatable examples of each method and I think by the end of reading the chapter, I felt like I had a great grasp of the 6 methods. Also, I was able to find personal experiences to help me internalize this frameworks.

The textbook spends time using examples in the context of college, so naturally, a lot of my own experiences related well and kept me thinking. While reading about codes, procedures and standards in communication ethics, I thought of the roommate-contract I had to create when I was living in the dorms. Even though this isn't a corporately agreed-upon regulation, it is agreed upon by two people and could be enforced by a person in a power position, like an RA. When I moved into the dorms, my roommate and I had to agree upon things like drinking, people staying over and things of that sort. The biggest areas of contest tended to be about people of the opposite sex staying over or drinking alcohol. These issues tended to be more protected and promoted then other things, so it was necessary to communicate ethically. It was found helpful to have a written code about the rules of the room to help communication in times of problem. A lot of the methods are easily related to in people's lives, but this particular method stood out to me with a personal experience.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, Claire! I too was reminded of the college contract I had to make with my roommate my freshman year when I read this chapter. We had to agree upon such things as volume of music, when to go to sleep during the week, who we could have over, cleaning areas, etc. I really had to adjust to the norms and ethics of the room to show hospitality and respect to my roommate. He had to too. The 6 metaphors also reminded me of my senior year of basketball in high school too. Our coach made the captains make rules/norms for our season, and we had to collaborate on these rules with other members of the team. We had to agree upon such things as team apparrel, team shoes, what to wear to school on game days, how to treat each other during adversity, discipline for being tardy to class/practice, etc. This experience really made me think of democratic communication ethics, where a handful of people, not just one, creates ethics in an environment. It will be interesting to see what others have to say about the 6 metaphors!

    ReplyDelete