Monday, February 3, 2014

Thoughts after reading Ch. 1-2

These readings really intrigued me, due to the questioning of what is actually ethical communication.  This country is a melting pot with so many different cultures and beliefs, and these lead to a person deciding what is ethical and acceptable in a public setting.  What one person believes is right and ethical can be interpreted as obscene and unacceptable by another, especially when we live in such a diverse nation like America.  Also, it's hard to define ethical communication due to the way we interact with one another.  The readings made me realize that our interactions with people are often the first and only times where we communicate with that person.  It's imperative to not offend anyone, but simultaneously it's sometimes hard not to because we don't know that person at all.  Many times, I've misjudged someone, and my communication made the person disinterested in our conversation.
To add to this, these chapters also had me contemplating the future of ethical communication.  I believe that it will be harder in the future to define exactly what this is due to how much media has an effect on us.  Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. paint vivid stereotypes in an omnipresent manner.  As a soon to be graduate scholar, I know the dangers of stereotypes, but these forms of media/social networks make it harder for me not to judge people and place them in an invisible box.  I'm looking forward to our conversation on ethical communication, and whether or not it's possible to define what it is with the world we live in today!

No comments:

Post a Comment