Monday, February 10, 2014

Chapter 3 Blog Post

The concept from Chapter three that resonated with me the most was the idea of contextual communication ethics. As stated in the text, "a contextual approach to communication ethics recognizes variations in culture, persons, and communication settings when applying communication ethics principles, protecting and promoting the good of the particular context and the good residing in that context" (51). I was really interested in this topic because I think it is in different contexts that we learn most about communication ethics. In a postmodern world it can be so difficult to understand what is ethical and what is not, and so many times I believe we learn from our successes and failures in communication. In the work setting I have learned that short, concise texts are they way to go, whereas when it comes to my girlfriend I wouldn't dare sending an "ok" text.

Now I know this example may seem extremely obvious, but I think it illustrates the point the book is trying to make. In order to be effective communicators we have to have an awareness in regards to the audience we are attempting to send a message to in addition to where we stand in relation to them. Are they a figure of authority? Are they a family member? Are they someone from a foreign country? Do they typically use the method of communication that you are attempting to use? All it takes sometimes is one unethical slip for a message to get lost, and this is why I believe it is not only important to have this awareness, but also to ask why the audience holds the perspective they do in order to understand and respect them to the fullest extent possible. Then communication will be effective and efficient, and in doing so I have found, you will learn more about yourself in the process than you will about them, ultimately not just learning to deal with a postmodern world, but you will learn to thrive in it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your opinion. I thought that contextual communication etthics is the most interesting among the six metaphors while I was reading this chapter. The concept of contextual communication ethics was little confusing. Soon, however, I found that it is pretty obvious and I'm already using this. Since there are many different cultures, we should aware and understand the variations in cultures, persons, and values to be a better communicators.

    ReplyDelete