Monday, February 3, 2014

What is Good?

One of the things that really stuck out to me in Chapter One was how what is considered good changes not only based on the cultural environment but with time as well.  It may just be that I have never really taken a class that really examines how people communicate with each other and what they talk about when they do, but it is amazing to me that there is not even a base "good" that exists. Also the idea that good exists in how we communicate.  I always figured that it would simply be the actions that mattered, not so much how we do it.

The example I used to think about this was in the movie when Fantine starts to sell her body in order to provide for her child.  Providing for her child is a good, but the method is not good.  Which really does not make to much sense to be, since I would argue that in some cases the ends justify the means, making the bad of selling her body, a good, due to the reasoning behind it.  Much like a solider will kill another human being in order to protect his comrade. I really do not fully understand this idea yet, but I think that I am starting to get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment