Monday, February 10, 2014

Ch. 3 The Pragmatic Good of Theory

This chapter explains six metaphors of communication ethics, Democratic communication ethics, Universal-Humanitarian communication ethics, Codes, procedures, and standards in communication ethics, Contextual communication ethics, Narrative communication ethics, and Dialogic communication ethics. After reading about these six metaphors, Universal-Humanitarian communication ethics, and Narrative communication ethics stood out the most.

The first paragraph under this section says, "A universal-humanitarian approach to communication ethics assumes a commitment to the Enlightenment ideal of rationality as the central guiding ethical principle, a rationality considered an essential part of human nature that requires protection and promotion for the good of human beings through adherence to rational principles." The main reason this stuck out to me was because we started to discuss it in our last class. I think it is important that people have this kind of mindset and work for the greater good of the people. What was discussed in class was how there are people in the world who do not believe in this approach and the effect it leaves behind. We learn about what is good from society, from pre-existing principles we observe growing up which lead me to connect with Narrative communication ethics.

Narrative communication ethics is basically what we observe and learn from others. This past month we experienced multiple cold days and snow storms. Back home anytime we had a snow storm, my dad would be the first one up in our cul-de-sac to shovel out not only my house, but my neighbors as well. I watched him do that for years. During our last snow storm I was up early shoveling out my steps and walkway, once I finished I went over to our neighbors and started on theirs. I didn't even think about it, I just went over and started working. It backfired because one of the members of the house came out and told me to be quiet because he was trying to sleep. But narrative communication ethics played a major part in my decision to start on my neighbors walkway.

1 comment:

  1. Your example of narrative ethics really resonated with me. It's amazing how many times since coming to college something like your story has happened. One moment you're doing something that just seems like common sense because it's something you have grown up doing, and then the next moment someone is giving you a weird look or getting angry at you. Recently at my job I asked my boss a question which was then followed by a fifteen minute lecture about how I ask too many questions and how I need to use my brain more to problem solve. For me though, I've grown up with the understanding that if you don't know for sure, ask. But that's not how my boss saw it. It was a perfect example of how our experiences in life dictate how we communicate and interact with one another, and also how varying those experiences are in our postmodern society.

    ReplyDelete